Grass-Fed Beef and Quinoa Chili
1 tbsp olive oil, 1 red bell pepper diced 1 yellow bell pepper diced, 2 stalks of celery, chopped, 2 jalapenos finely chopped, ribs and seeds removed, 1 yellow onion diced
2 large carrots, peeled and diced, 5 cloves of garlic minced, 1/2 cup tricolor quinoa, 2 cups of water, 3 tsp of cumin, 2 tbsp of chili powder, 3 tsp of paprika,1 28 oz can of unsalted crushed tomatoes,1 6 oz can of tomato paste, 1lb ground grass fed beef, 2 15 oz cans of kidney beans, strained and rinsed, 3 tbsp 2% Greek yogurt, Reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese for serving
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, salt the water and cover. Cook for 12-15 minutes, occasionally stirring. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and add the red and yellow bell peppers, celery, jalapeños, onion, and carrots and cook for 8 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Season to taste.
3. Add the cumin, paprika and chili powder, stirring to evenly coat the vegetables. Season the meat with salt and pepper and then add it to the mixture, stirring occasionally. Cook until the meat is no longer pink.
4. Add the broth to the mixer and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the can of crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to the pan. Stir the mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the quinoa.
5. Cover and let the mixture simmer for 20-25 minutes, occasionally stirring, then add the red kidney beans.
6. Turn off the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt. Season to taste. Add more salt and pepper as needed. 7. Serve and top each bowl with reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese. Notes: Double this recipe to meal prep for the week (and freeze half for 3-4 months in an airtight container)!